Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Year

I'll be honest, I've never really understood why the New Year is such a big deal. It's simply another day, and after all the errors made in history with calendars, really, it's not much to celebrate. This year, however, I understand a little better. We need a new start. We make resolutions to better ourselves, and hopefully others as well. We have a clean, fresh start. Even if it's just another day, we can tell ourselves, this year will be different. But why can't we do that every day? Why don't we wake up and say, "today will be better." or "this week (or month) will be better"? A year is such a long time and so much can happen during it, why wouldn't we adjust our resolutions to make them continue to work both all year and for our lives? At the same time, it seems that we often set ourselves up for failure by setting the bar too high and then when we fall, the rest of the year is considered a failure. Deciding in January that you're not going to eat any junk food all year is simply not realistic. Cutting out one thing or eating it less, however, is. I have had a hard time coming up with any resolutions thus far. There are, of course, areas of my life that I have issues with and that I want to change, but I also want to stick to what I decide. I have decided, instead, to make monthly resolutions this year. For January, I *think* I am going to pick a different curse word each week and cut it out of my vocabulary, until at the end of the month there are 4 that I don't use. Because I am starting a little late, I'm going to go until this time February. I think by telling myself it's only for a week, I will be able to build up to just not saying these words at all. Well, that's the hope. Then I will pick a new one in February. Here's to a great year that has so far been one of my best :)

Have a Super, Fantastic, Great Day!
Mandiy

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year! Thanks for visiting my blog! I see you are from Columbia and (on the other pandora's box link on your profile page) I saw you had a winthrop sweatshirt on! i grew up in columbia and went to winthrop for college! small w orld!

    ReplyDelete