Friday, March 4, 2011

Words

Well, I think tonight/this morning I finally figured out what it is that I want to study. About time now that I should be graduating soon. I just started a philosophy class, and I love, love, LOVE it already. Unfortunately, there are two problems with me studying just philosophy. 1. My school does not offer a Bachelor's in this. 2. What in the world would I do with a philosophy degree? lol So while reading my text (yes, I am actually reading for this class!), I was reading about philosophers discussing the beginning of language. This took me back to a class I had at Winthrop when we looked at how language formed, the purposes it took on and what it would be like to live in a world without words (I do NOT like that idea at all). And I really started thinking. I love words. I love language. Maybe pictures do speak louder, but I'd rather read the thousand words 9 times out of 10. It allows the mind to create it's own picture beyond what any artist may be able to capture. And I have a secret soft spot for very basic math, which is what syntax and that sort of thing is to me. It's a form of math that still involves my favorite thing: WORDS! So what do you know? The newest available Bachelor's degree from Ashford is, in fact, Applied Linguistics. I mean, what perfect timing! So I sent the email to my advisor asking how to change my major and how far back this will set me. I just, I feel passionate about something to do with school again. I thought I was burnt out on English, but I think I was just looking at the wrong aspects of it. Literature is wonderful, but it's not what I love. I love the words and the grammar and, yes, all the "nerdy" parts. I just think this is maybe what I should've been doing all along. And maybe this is why I didn't finish at Winthrop the first time around. Maybe this is why it's taken me so long to finish, so I finish with the right degree. I'd also love to learn Greek.
And have I mentioned what I want to do with tattoos? I want a collage of words on my back. Yes, words, of course. Again, while I love pictures with the people I love and like to look at some art, words are just more important than images to me. Carefully selecting the right word is just such a thrill sometimes. And to be able to understand language and work with it? Yes, please :) Ok, well now I should go to sleep. I just had to get this revelation out before I explode.

Have a super, fantastic, great, and wonderful day!
Mandiy

No comments:

Post a Comment